At least 20 dead as train left hanging after Mexico City overpass collapses | World News

At least 20 dead as train left hanging after Mexico City overpass collapses | World News

At least 20 people have died after an overpass in Mexico City collapsed, splitting a train in two and leaving it hanging precariously over a road.

Forty-nine people have been taken to hospital after the accident, said the city’s mayor – who also gave the updated death toll.

Emergency crews and firefighters have been searching through the train for survivors and at least one car has been buried by rubble.

Around 70 have been injured and more than 30 taken to hospital
Image:
People were said to be still trapped inside the metro train

There were still people trapped inside the train but it was unclear if they were alive, said Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum.

She added that some minors were among those killed.

The accident happened at 22.30 local time (4.30 UK time) on the metro’s Line 12 – the construction of which has been plagued with complaints and accusations of irregularities.

The mayor said a support beam had given way as the train passed over it.

Rescue efforts were paused at around midnight as a crane was brought in to stabilise the partially hanging train amid fears it could fall further onto the road.

Friends and relatives of people believed to be involved gathered at the scene near Olivos station, in the southern borough of Tlahuac.

Oscar Lopez, 26, was hoping for news of his friend, Adriana Salas, who is six months pregnant and was on the subway after a day at work.

Rescuers work at a site where an overpass for a metro partially collapsed with train cars on it at Olivos station in Mexico City, Mexico May 3, 2021.
Image:
The accident happened near Olivos station, in the southern borough of Tlahuac
Police sealed off the area as people gathered for news about loved ones. Pic: AP
Image:
Police sealed off the area as people gathered for news about loved ones. Pic: AP

He said there had been no answer from her since the time of the incident.

“We lost contact with her, at 10.50 pm, there was literally no more contact,” Mr Lopez said.

Foreign minister Marcelo Ebrard – the city’s mayor when the metro line was built – tweeted: “What has happened on the metro today is a terrible tragedy.”

He added: “Of course the causes should be investigated and those responsible should be identified.

“I repeat that I am entirely at the disposition of authorities to contribute in whatever way is necessary.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*